It seems like every time J.K. Rowling is set to release a new book, the web is loaded with so-called internet “spoilers.” These spoilers from Galleycat, which reveal plot details from The Casual Vacancy, appear to be legimate.
1. The book will include some mature material, perhaps surprising some younger readers: “public response to The Casual Vacancy will doubtless include scandalized objections to the idea of young Harry Potter readers being drawn into such material. ”
2. At the same time, teenagers play a large role in the book–prompting some comparisons to her work with the Harry Potter series: “Several of the key characters in The Casual Vacancy are in their mid-teens, and the novel seems most comfortable when it’s with them.”
3. The profile also revealed a bit about the cast of characters at the center of the book: “Its attention rotates among several Pagford households, in the Southwest of England: a gourmet-grocery owner and his wife; two doctors; a nurse married to a printer; a social worker. Most of the families include troubled teens.”
4. The profile hinted at a gloomier twist at the book’s conclusion, comparing the ending to the work of a great Victorian realist: “as the novel turns darker, toward a kind of Thomas Hardy finale, it hurtles along impressively.”
5. The plot of the novel hinges on the potential closure of a drug treatment facility on the edge of a more prosperous town, setting up some striking contrasts: “This is a story of class warfare set amid semi-rural poverty, heroin addiction, and teen-age perplexity and sexuality.”
We’ll have to wait and see when the book comes out!